Let’s face it. The chances are if you are reading this post you are one of the many who at least, several times a week mutters to yourself “I need to lose weight badly.”
The burning question is where do you start and can you sustain a new healthier lifestyle?
Before I go any further I
I have made a decision to document an attempt to start living a healthier lifestyle and essentially, to look better naked.
In the last 5 years, I have gained around 4 stone in weight. No excuses, I have simply over indulged and not taken proper care of myself.
I’ve always struggled with my weight. Back in school and into my early adult years I was always a fat lad. My appetite was, and still is quite sizable and for as long as
Don’t get me wrong – I am not yet at a weight which causes me massive problems, however, I believe if I keep going on the same path, it won’t take long for me to be in a really bad state.
My relationship with food has always been an issue for me.
- portion size
- fatty processed rubbish
- finishing the kid’s meals (not liking to see waste)
- not realizing when I am full
- My love of a few too many pints of lager.
- not being able to say no if offered something tasty.
Can you relate to any of the above
- What if I fail?
- What will my friends and family think?
- Will I look stupid?
- whats the point?
The more I thought about it the more it made sense to just take the plunge and try a different approach to losing some podge. Whats the worst that can happen?
- People may not find my journey interesting.
- I might get some “nasty” comments
- I may not lose any weight.
Then there is the positives to look at –
- It will motivate me to keep going
- I will enjoy the journey
- I will inspire others to get healthier
- I may find inspiration from others to keep going.
- I will be able to look back in months to come and see how far
- I will end up feeling and looking, better than I have for years.
It’s safe to say that for me the positives in trying this far outweigh the negatives and I am looking forward to
As I have stated in my vlog, I am not going along with any fad diets, fitness plans or magic pills. My intention is to simply be more mindful of what I consume on a daily basis and to be more active.
As a man who is nearly at the 20 stone mark, I will be starting off with some fast-paced walking and simply be building on that. I haven’t ruled out joining a gym as before I was married and had kids I really enjoyed the gym and managed to get down to a decent weight and felt pretty good, however, in the early days of this attempt to get healthier I’m going to stick to the streets.
Why Have I Always Struggled To Stay Trim?
Looking back as far as i can remember Its safe to say I haven’t been eating well. I struggle to stomach most vegetables and although I quite enjoy lots of different fruits i simply don’t eat enough.
For me, I believe that portion control has been a key factor in my chunky frame and my enjoyment of what I am consuming has
One key target I am setting myself is to avoid the feeling of being bloated after a meal. That feeling which makes me say “I am never eating again” has to stop. Eating so much that you feel you are going to burst has been a common trend for me all my life and I now believe I have confused that feeling with a sense of satisfaction.
In my opinion losing weight and keeping it off is all down to your mindset. We are all wired differently and some people will be more prone than others to gaining weight.
Don’t get me wrong – I am not getting into genetics here as I am in no way qualified to start down that path. I simply believe that some people are wired to approach eating and exercise a lot different
If That’s What I Believe Then Why Am I Still Fat?
In short, I HAVE BEEN KIDDING MYSELF!
Over the last few years, I just haven’t cared enough to make a change and have convinced myself that I enjoy eating rubbish food and don’t care how I look… BULLSHIT.
I have a wardrobe full of clothes that would probably cut off my circulation if I tried to get into them. I avoid shopping for new clothes as I don’t want to spend money on XXXL sizes as deep down I
Keeping It Simple
So whats my plan?
My full intention is to not restrict myself and be simply more mindful of what i consume and the amount of activity I partake in. The key changes I have already started to make moving forward are as follows:
- Water intake. – my first drink when I wake up on a morning is a pint of water, and during the course of the day, I will repeat this 4-5 times. Your pee should be clear and not smell strong. If it does you are dehydrated and this will make you feel rubbish and not help in losing weight.
- Exercise at least every other day for at least 45 minutes. – How much exercise you can manage will depend on the individual. For me, I intend to get the earphones in, select my chosen motivational playlist and hit the streets walking as fast as I can. I’m confident that, as my fitness improves my pace will increase.
- Stop eating BEFORE I feel bloated and uncomfortable – This will be all down to portion size. I intend to eat slower and be more mindful of when I’ve had enough. Finishing the kid’s dinner or going back for seconds will become a thing of the past
- Reduce alcohol intake – I believe that my overindulgence with beer over the last few years has contributed massively to my weight gain. I’m not alcohol dependent and can go a week without having a drink, but when I do get going its safe to say I can sink more than I should.
For now these are the 4 main lifestyle changes I will be making and I am more than curious to see how i get on.
Please feel free to follow my journey here and via my youtube channel and reach out for a chat. Hopefully, we can help each other.
All the best with your journey and I hope you have taken something from this.
P.S. If you like the sound of putting together your own blog just like this one, then please check out my review on the wealthy affiliate university.
Learn from home at your own pace from scratch. Experience is not necessary.