If you have made the decision to have a crack at building your own website, whether it be for a bricks and mortar business or an online business, you should have asked yourself the question – how do i get people to my website?
When it comes to marketing your business online, the understanding of keyword research plays a huge part in getting your message noticed by the right audience.
Imagine a car salesman unleashing his polished, professional sales pitch, only to realize that his/her customer was wearing an earpiece throughout, listening to another sales pitch from his competitor – who he/she then goes on to buy from.
Pretty sole destroying right…
Keyword research is fundamental to search engines such as Google and Bing, noticing you and what you have to say.
Using strong, researched keywords can be the difference between your post showing up on page 8 of a google search or page 1.
What Is A Keyword
This is a search phrase you type
What is the best cell phone to buy?
How do I wire A plug?
who can service my car in my local area?
Try some keywords for yourself using the FREE tool below. ⏬⏬⏬
Don’t Worry If you see some information which you don’t understand. Take a look around then come back to this post for some simple explanations to what it all means.
What’s It All About
The image above will be what you are presented when conducting your keyword research.
Avg – This is simply the overall monthly traffic this search term is getting worldwide. It is good practice not to use a keyword phrase with less than 30 searches per month – The higher the better.
Traffic – This is the estimated amount of traffic you will get monthly if you rank on page 1 on google, using the chosen keyword.
QSR – Known as quoted search results, this is the exact number of results you are competing with using your chosen keyword. In other words this gives you an insight into how much competition you have, using your chosen keyword.
However, the lower the better with this number as the less competition you are up against the higher your chances of ranking higher in the search results.
As your site develops over time and you start to gain some authority with Google, it is fine to use higher scoring QSI results, keeping it under 200 is advisable.
KQI – This is known as the keyword quality indicator and will simply indicate if the keyword is great, OK, or poor.
Its also good practice to make sure you keyword makes grammatical sense
an example of what not to use would be
“I need lose weight”
This may seem very trivial but this can have an impact with your results as this phrase is missing the “to“, so it should read –
“I need to lose weight”
Gaining Authority With Google
If you are in the process of setting up your first website, for whatever business or interest you may have, it’s important to understand that gaining authority with Google and other search engines take time and effort.
Google has a very clever, constantly evolving, programming system known as “G
When a person types in a search phrase to google, it’s in Googles best interest to make sure they are sending people to relevant, genuine and informative posts which will give the best user experience possible.
As a rule it is good practice to always aim for a post with no less than 1500 words, however, the more the better, especially if you are competing with a keyword, where other posts are very high in detail and have a high number of words.
Research Is Key
When choosing a keyword to run with for your post, it is always a good idea to do a google search on that keyword and check out the posts which show up on page 1 of Google so you gain a better understanding of what you are up against and what you should be looking to achieve when creating your article.
The more posts on your site the more traction you will gain with search engines and consistency will result in your posts ranking faster and higher in search engine results.
Realistic Expectations With Your Site
The following expectations are taken from what I have learnt from the wealthy affiliate platform and are based on
Your results are based on the actions you take and the effort you put in – nothing is guaranteed when building any kind of business, however, the following accomplishments are realistic if you are prepared to learn and work.
- Website set up
- S,E,O (search engine optimization) set up
- Initial framework of content live on your website.
- Indexed in Google, Bing, Yahoo (search engines now know you exist and are ready to monitor your site and the content you post.)
- You have 5-10 posts on your website.
- Earning potential – Consider yourself lucky if you make any money from your site so soon. Its very early days.
- Your content is starting to get ranked in search engines
- You experience some big breakthroughs in your keyword research
- You realistically could have made a sale or two
- Traffic to your site is starting to grow.
- search engines are starting to give your site “authority”
- You have 30-60 quality posts on your website.
- Earning Potential – You could be seeing anything from $0 – $500 per month in sales from your efforts so far.
- Traffic is really starting to flow, you could expect to see 100 unique visitors to your site daily.
- sales start to grow and you expect to see them increasing weekly
- Search engines start indexing your site at a higher rate.
- you have 70 – 100 quality posts on your site.
- Earning potential – Sites at this stage have seen a full time monthly income coming in every month
- Google is giving your site some serious authority.
- Companies and others in your field start to reach out to you and connect, potentially making surprising offers which could grow your business further.
- Traffic is really flowing now. 500 unique visitors per day are not uncommon at this stage of your site development.
- Earning potential – Your finances could be very healthy at this stage. there are individuals making $5000 + per month at this stage of their journey.
- You have a thriving business online.
- Search engines are ranking your posts now, within 24 hours of being posted.
- You should now have 200-300 posts on your website
- You are now generating enough money to consider yourself financially independent.
- Earning potential – 2 years of consistency could see you earning $10,000 – $20,000 per month
- You are now an established brand in the industry
- Search engines trust and rank your posts almost instantly
- You are now in a position to use your earnings to promote your business through paid advertising.
- You are now building a team from your business, writers, designers, researchers. you are now delegating more work and turning your attention to other ventures.
- Earning Potential – The sky is the limit. many individuals at this stage in their journey are making a life-changing monthly income from their online business
Worried You Don’t Have What it Takes
If you have read this far then I would assume you are keen enough to learn and develop the skills needed to build your own business online. Maybe you have already started your online journey but have hit a roadblock and possibly need a new direction.
You don’t need to be an experienced writer to build your own website and create content to captivate an audience.
The website you are reading this post on is less than 6 months old and has been put together by following training and support from one online platform.
Before I stumbled across the “wealthy affiliate platform” I had zero experience with building a site from scratch, SEO (search engine optimization), Keywords and writing.
Having access to a structured training schedule with video tutorials, literally walking you through the process of how to build an online business has been a real eye-opener as to what can be achieved this day and age.
There’s No Quick Fix
Hopefully, it is now clear that building a website and attracting the right audience is not easy and can take a lot of time and effort, however the rewards for your efforts are unlimited and consistency will bring the results you want to see.
Try out the wealthy affiliate platform for FREE and see for yourself what is on offer from this educational and service providing platform.
Please drop into my profile and feel free to ask any questions you have. If